Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Don't have a Mary Sue

If you don't know what a Mary Sue is, let me enlighten you.

A Mary Sue is a character that is perfect. Looks perfect, acts perfect and has a perfect life; they can do no wrong.

Now, I don'y know about you, but I am none of the above. I do not have perfect looks, there are several things about myself that I would change if I could and I'm sure most normal people are the same. My personality is all over the place, my life is a mess half the time and trust me, I can do plenty of wrong. Don't believe me? Just ask my parents.

The thing that makes a good character is someone that's relatable, that you can compare yourself to. Say that your MC is bad at math and is constantly getting bad grades in that class. I would be able to relate to that fictional being because I myself am horrible at math.

When a character is so perfect that they come to the point that they are almost god like, that's when the story gets boring. How can a plot move forward when the MC is perfect already and cannot develop? Isn't that one of the best parts of the book, getting to watch as your favorite character becomes a better person and learns more about themselves? And I know that watching their lives become crazy messes is pretty fun, seeing them unravel, because I can relate.

So maybe you have a character that everyone looks at and says, "Dang, that person is perfect!" but just be sure that you know that that person really isn't perfect and maybe everyone else will figure that out soon enough and be able to relate. Remember, always try and make your characters relatable.


- Kailyn