Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

On Camp NaNo :


So, Camp NaNo is here! Personally, I won’t be doing Camp NaNo. I got my fill of stressful writing during NaNoWriMo! But don’t let me discourage you! In fact, I hope you do it! If you’re one of the brave souls venturing on the journey into the writing wilderness, I’ve got a few tips to give you before you go!
       
1.   Always pack lots of food! When you’re writing, give yourself a goal, and rewarded yourself with a treat when you’ve reached that goal! When I did NaNoWriMo, I had a bag of chips and a movie waiting for me every ten thousand words. It felt good to celebrate after sitting at the computer for hours! So, I seriously encourage you to find some treat and award yourself once you reach your goal! (Just remember: you don’t have to make it every 10k! Every 5k or even 1k is awesome if it helps you write!)

2.       Pack a No-Sleep. If you’re like me and you decide to get 20k behind on NaNo, be sure you have a Monster, or coffee, or Redbull, or some form of liquid No-sleep. It will come in handy when you have to pull all-nighters. This leads us to the next helpful tip….

3.      DON’T GET LOST! I mean, come on; don’t fall behind! Like I said earlier, I got 20k behind on my NaNo before I finally decided that I really wanted to finish. Don’t let this happen to you! It will lead to you writing nonsensical stuff at four in the morning! I’d suggest trying to reach 2k each day to make sure you’re able to finish. 

4.      Say goodbye to your family and friends. Oh, you’re brothers birthday is during Camp NaNo? I DON’T CARE! Wish him an early, “Happy birthday, bro!” and be on your way! (Okay, maybe go out for some cake and ice cream…) But seriously, you have to let your family and friends know that you’re going to be crazy busy during Camp NaNo, and make sure they know not to disturbed you.

 5.      Make extra copies of your work. This is another mistake I made during NaNoWriMo: I lost my first 10K. Yes, indeed I did. It was a horrible, horrible feeling. I wouldn’t want anyone else to have to lose their hard work! So make copies of your work! Send it to a trust-worthy friend, save it in your email, your facebook, and in multiple different docs. I don’t care how you do it; just make sure it’s done!

Now, I feel like those are enough tips to send you on your way! Good luck with Camp NaNo, and happy writing!